Thursday, September 11, 2008

My 9/11

If I don't do it today I probably never will.

I was working at Froedert Hospital, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin as a float pool nurse working in the urology department, I was at the nurses station getting lab results on my patients and this patient kept coming out and in a loud voice kept saying "You girls have to come in here and watch this, something just crashed into the towers in New York." I had never been to New York and being from the valley had never really even seen the towers. We thought he was crazy, at least I did and paid no attention. About five minutes later I walked into a patients room and saw what was happening.

None of us really knew what was happening. As the day progressed we were all inside patients rooms catching up on the news. I remember calling Javier any chance I could, (why didn't we have cell phones?)I finally get a hold of Javier he tells me they let school out early.

I remember Javier and I staying up holding each other in the couch in Milwaukee all evening. I remember not saying a word, I remember the silence. I remember both of us crying. I remember the feeling of wanting to hold my Mother and not being able to.
I remember praying all day long. Why was it so quite?

Next day I have to go to work, on the way there we pick up a newspaper. I remember Javier dropping me off and I remember the feeling off not wanting to be away from him. I always drove to work, but on September 12, 2001 Javier drove me.

I remember living in a 20 story building and going through all the possibilities. I remember being scared every time we'd hear an airplane. I remember cancelling our Thanksgiving trip to Denver because we both just wanted to be Home (The Valley).

I remember getting on a plane for the first time. I remember hearing all the stories of the ones left behind. I remember praying.

I think I will always remember.

Again, if I wouldn't have done it today I probably never would have.

My 9/11.

No comments:

October 2008

October 2008
Mattaw